Agia Monument

From NigerianWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

AGIA MONUMENT

This is the site of the father epoch making agia tree,which lived for more than 300 years and grew to a height of 160feet. it was under this tree that Christian Gospel was first preached to the inhabitants of Badagry by the Reverend Thomas Birch-Freeman of the Methodist faith and Reverend Henry Townsend of the Church Missionary society.The first Christmas service was held under the shade of this tree in 1842. Eventually blown down by a storm at about 11:45 pm on saturday, the 20th of june 1949,the site has been preserved and in its place an obelisk is erected surrounded by a beautiful garden with lights.It has turned to a pilgrimage sport visited by Christians from all over the country.It is located along the popular market street,new badagry town Hall.