C.M.S. Grammar School
C.M.S. Grammar School or the Church Missionary Society Grammar School, Lagos was an educational school promoted by many followers of the Christian faith resident in Lagos. The school came to fruition due in large effort to the work of T.B. Macaulay, an in-law of Samuel Ajayi Crowther and the school's first principal. The school was partially created to provide a solid educational facility for children of the middle and upper class and Anglican residents in Nigeria and also to further the missionary effort of the Anglican church. (1)
C.M.S Grammar School was established in broad street, Lagos in 1859. In the late nineteenth century, the school was managed by the Faji District Committee of the missionary society. The School during the period taught scripture, reading, writing, dictation, English history, English grammar and analysis, algebra, arithmetic, Roman history, Latin, Greek, physiology, book-keeping, geography, singing, and recitation. It was a residential school and early Nigerian schools with the exception of the Hope Waddel Institute were the patterns of CMS.
The CMS society
The Church Missionary Society was founded in the late eighteenth century as a missionary branch of the Anglican church. The Society was created in large part to the effort of an evangelical and abolitionist group around Surrey, in Clapham, England. The support for missionary work was led by some notable Englishmen including Zachary Macaulay, William Wilberforce and Granville Sharp. The society expanded into Nigeria to eliminate the slave trade, promote peaceful trade and Anglo-saxon values and to bring Christianity to the Nigerian interior.
(1)Christopher Steed, Bengt Sundkler. 'A History of the Church in Africa', p 236.