Nigerian College of Arts, Science and Technology
The Nigerian College of Arts, Science and Technology was a tripartite residential college system with branches in Ibadan, Zaria and Enugu. It was folded in 1962 based on the recommendations of the Ashby Commission and merged with the regional universities, principally the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Obafemi Awolowo University and the University of Nigeria.
The colleges taught alternate college courses, intermediate courses and a training class. The college was founded on the recommendations of a team led by the then deputy director of education in Nigeria, W.H. Thorp and Dr Harlow, principal of Chelsea Polytechnic.
In a 1950 report submitted to the government on technical college organization in Nigeria and presented by Thorp and Harlow, the two man team proposed a college of intermediate courses for the Higher School Certificate and additional duration of one or two years spent at the college for a 'sandwich system' of practical training within industry and higher college level courses. Admission into the colleges was proposed to be based on a school certificate and provision were to be made for students with work experiences. The recommendations of the report was approved leading to the founding of the Nigerian College. The cost of establishing the three branches totaled almost 2 million pounds with the Colonial Development and Welfare Act funding a third of the amount and the Nigerian government providing the remainder.
The first branch of the system to open was the Northern Nigeria college in Zaria, it opened in January 1952 with a student body of 32 who were accommodated at a temporary location where only teacher training classes was offered. Towards the end, the college offered courses in engineering, sub-engineering, arts, physical education, agriculture, veterinary, architecture, higher school certificate, local government, and secretarial skills. The Zaria branch was also selected as the headquarters of the Nigerian Colleges of Arts, Science and Technology.
The Enugu branch opened in the 1955/156 academic session. It was established with a student body totaling 240 in mind and it offered classes in surveying, science, higher school certificate, secretarial skills, local government, arts and mining.
Ibadan was the second branch to open, it opened at a temporary site in the 1952/1953 academic session with a student body of 9 reaching 424 towards 1960. It offered classes in agriculture, forestry, book-keeping, accountancy, education, arts, science and engineering.
- Nduka Okafor. The Development of Universities in Nigeria